Platon Technologies
not logged in Login Registration
EnglishSlovak
open source software development celebrating 10 years of open source development! Friday, April 19, 2024
About Us
O nás
Magazine
Magazín
Open Source
Otvorený softvér
CVS
CVS
Services
Služby
Index  »  Projects  »  phpMyEdit  »  Forum  »  can't install on live web server

phpMyEdit Installation     can't install on live web server

ryanhart     Joined: 08 Apr 2004   Posts: 12  
Post Posted: 2004-04-08 03:13
Back to top  Reply with quote     

After I direct my browser to phpMyEditSetup.php, I'm prompted to enter (hostname, username, and password) and click the Submit button. I'm told -- "Sorry - login failed - please try again". Now I know my login information is absolutely correct, because, I already have a dynamic page on that same site that requests information from the MySQL database, and that script connects fine everytime. Additionally, I have phpMyEdit-5.4 runing fine on my local testing server on my computer, so I know how to use this thing.

Additional info: Hosting account is through GoDaddy, and they use a seperate server for databases.

I would greqtly appreciate some help.... Thanks.

Ryan-

michal     Joined: 17 Jun 2003   Posts: 537   Location: Slovakia
Post Posted: 2004-04-08 09:26

to eliminate possible phpMyEditSetup bugs, try uploading your at home already created phpMyEdit config file (and changing apropriate $opts[password, username, database, host...].

i've never tried using pme with database on another server, but should work.

Post Posted: 2004-04-08 16:15

Thanks, Michal
But, unfortunately... I had already done that yesterday before I even posted the message, and it didn't work. I'm stuck I don't know what to do.

Post Posted: 2004-04-08 22:35

Thanks for the info Doug,

I use Dreamweaver as my FTP Client. I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver doesn't force lower case files upon upload, because when I look at the remote view in Dreamweaver... all the files I've uploaded, still have their "upper case" if they had upper case in thier filenames to begin with.

You're right "GoDaddy" is cheap hosting. I need to definitely find other alternatives, but for the time being... I need to get this site up and running.

So any other information and tips you could post would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ryan-

Post Posted: 2004-04-09 18:50

Doug-
There was on other thing I forgot to show you, here's the error message I get when I try to use phpMyEdit-5.4 on my website.

"phpMyEdit error: could not connect to MySQL"

I don't know if that makes anything more clear to you or not, but just thought I'd post it.

Thanks,
Ryan-

Last edited by ryanhart on 2004-04-09 19:16, edited 1 time in total

ajh     Joined: 17 Dec 2003   Posts: 236  
Post Posted: 2004-04-09 19:01

I would say that there is something wrong with the setup on PHP as far as MySQL is concerned. It looks to me as if it is trying to contact a database on the local (ie php) server using a socket. Thats not how you would connect to a remote database server, it would use an IP port.

Can you do anything in PHP while connects to the database server?

Post Posted: 2004-04-09 19:27

Doug & Ajh-
Sorry guys I posted the wrong error, I know how to set up the variables to connect to MySQL when it's live on a webserver....

Here's the correct error message I get when I try to use phpMyEdit:

"phpMyEdit error: could not connect to MySQL"

And when I run phpMyEdit on my local web server environment on my computer it works and connects fine to MySQL.

Additionally I have other dynamic php pages already live on the web server that connect just fine to the MySQL database and retrieve records. There's just some little glitch with phpMyEdit that doesn't allow it to connect to the live MySQL database on the web server (it's probably GoDaddy's problem or glitch, not phpMyEdit... however, I'm not sure).

I'm stumped... Also sorry about the incorrect error message I posted earlier.

Thanks,
Ryan-

Post Posted: 2004-04-09 23:46

Doug,
Thank you very much, that fixed the problem in 20 seconds flat. I really appreciated all of your help.

I just have one more question... I just want to know why the (mysql_pconnect changed to mysql_connect) worked.

And will I have to do that same thing when I host with other companies besides GoDaddy.com.

Thanks,
Ryan-

nepto     Joined: 06 Jan 2003   Posts: 381   Location: Phoenix, Arizona (USA)
Post Posted: 2004-04-10 01:43

Very interesting MySQL tuning reading for advanced users is also here:

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000173.html

Copyright © 2002-2006 Platon Group
Site powered by Metafox CMS
Go to Top · Feedback form · Odkazový formulár · Application form · Prihláška
Report bug on PLATON.SK website · Upozorniť na chybu na PLATON.SK webstránke · Terms of use · Podmienky použitia · Privacy policy · Ochrana osobných údajov